September 12 & 13, 2020
The UPMC Pinnacle Harrisburg Half is back! We have redesigned this race from the ground up due to complications that have arisen due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The new course lets you enjoy scenic views of gorgeous Harrisburg city and the Susquehanna river as you enjoy the company of other dedicated runners on their way to reaching their goals. Ready to run? Sign up for the UPMC Pinnacle Harrisburg Half today!
To make room for all our great participants, we have made this a two day event! Our Sunday heat is nearly at capacity but our Saturday heat is open for business! There will be a maximum of 250 participants per day and will be sent off in small group corrals, one at a time, over the course of two hours.
- Saturday, September 12th – Registration opens Thursday, August 27th and ends on Monday, September 7th at 11:59pm or if the race fills up!
- We need 100 participants to make this event happen! If the minimum participant requirement is not met, we will be issuing full refunds to those affected. This is the only exception to our refund policy, see below.
- Sunday, September 13th – Race is almost at capacity, but we do have some limited space available!
REGISTRATION DETAILS AND FEES
- Participants must be 13 years old to register.
- There is no relay this year.
- Registration is online only – there is no in-person registration or mail-in registration.
- Registration is limited to 250 participants.
- All participants will sign up for corral starts with waves starting every 10 minutes (more details below).
COST FOR THE RACE
In the unlikely event that our permission to have an in-person event is rescinded, the 2020 UPMC Pinnacle Harrisburg Half will become a virtual race. You will have the option of participating in the virtual race and getting your race bag, bibs, and shirt OR a 50% refund.
As much as we would like to be considerate of our participants who may request a 100% refund, this event requires purchasing a significant amount of supplies in advance. If the YMCA were to give full refunds to all participants, this event would go from a fundraiser to a net loss of thousands of dollars for the YMCA during a time when all non-profits are struggling to continue operations.
We are giving 100% to have a safe, fun, and wonderful Harrisburg Half event in person, but if circumstances were to change due to concerns for the safety of our community outside of our control, we will provide additional instructions.
- If you were signed up for this race prior to the new race details being released and would like a deferral, please contact us at email@example.com for a deferral to 2021 at no cost.
- FLEET FEET MECHANICSBURG (Silver Spring Square, 6416 Carlisle Pike #700, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050)
- Thursday, September 10th – 10:00AM-7:00PM
- Friday, September 11th – 10:00AM-6:00PM
- RACE DAY ON CITY ISLAND
- Please make every effort to get your race bib and shirt prior to race day.
START AND FINISH
- The start and finish lines will be in the north parking lot on City Island
- We will use a corral start and will be sending participants off in small groups every 10 minutes starting at 7:00AM
- The first heat will be for Elite runners who are competing for the overall male and female award and masters male and female awards.
Due to extenuating circumstances, we are not able to use our regular course that involves multiple street closures. So, we went back to the drawing board to come up with a brand new course that is simple to navigate, minimizes 2-way runner traffic as much as possible, and has a start and finish in the north parking lot of City Island where there is lots of room for social distancing. Since we were not able to close roads and have to use the upper and lower level paths, there may be some pedestrians using parts of the course. We are not able to fully reserve the entire course just for the race. The course will close at 1:20PM regardless of corral start time.
Our course is officially USATF certified (meaning it is measured to be exactly 13.1 miles). The USATF Certification # is PA20006NP.
To maintain proper distancing measures, we will have a corral start every 10 minutes starting at 7:00AM.
There will be approximately 20 people in each corral that will be sent off individually every few seconds.
There is one corral for elite participants (below). There are no qualifying times for the other corrals.
- On both Saturday and Sunday, the Elite Corral will be reserved at 7am for those competing for overall male and female (open and masters) awards.
- For males, the estimated finish time needed for this heat is 1:30:00 or less
- For females, the estimated finish time needed for this heat is 1:50:00 or less
- When registering, you will enter your qualifying time and if it is within the parameters above, you will be able to select the Elite Corral
- We added this corral so that we can minimize the number of participants on the course that may have to be passed (there are some sections of the course with two-way runner traffic).
In the corral chute, there will be measures taken so each participant is 6-feet away from others and will wear a mask until just prior to starting.
Corral times will be first come, first serve. Remember, the normal start time for this race is 8:00AM! So regardless of what corral time you have, you are at most one hour off of when you would be starting normally.
- Saturday participants: When registering for the event, you will be asked to choose a corral time and enter your estimated finish time.
- Sunday participants: You must log back in to your account and enter an estimated finish time and select a corral.
- All awards will be aggregated for both Saturday and Sunday.
- All awards will be scored by chip time, so essentially it is a time trial race for each person.
- Normally we have this race on one day and all awards are gun timed, but we have had to take new measures this year due to the parameters we have to operate in.
- All awards will be mailed.
- Final age group awards will not be available until results are finalized after the Sunday event.
- No duplicate awards.
- We will not be issuing prize money for this event this year.
- Overall male
- Overall female
- Overall male masters (40+)
- Overall female masters (40+)
Age Group Awards (first, second, and third place for male and female categories listed below)
- 19 and under
FINISHER MEDALS AND RACE SHIRTS
All finishers will receive a finisher medal and a race shirt. Race shirts are sponsored by Pennsylvania American Water!
Results will be posted to the Harrisburg Half page on FalconRaceTiming.com
*Please note the awards (more detail below) will be overall awards that will be aggregated for both days. A link to the overall results will be updated and provided following the Sunday event.
The race will be timed by Falcon Race Timing using disposable chip timing. All race participants must cross the finish mat to register a time. Be sure to wear your bib on the front of your body during the race to ensure an accurate time as the chips will be attached to the back of these.
In order for us to keep crowds to a minimum and keep everyone safe, we ask that all participants limit their spectators as much as possible. This way, everyone can have someone cheering them on!
There is going to be a lot of spectator room in the parking lot area. The final stretch of the race will take place around the perimeter of the parking lot, so there will be plenty of room for spectators to space out!
Spectators must wear masks while at the event.
- We will have to do water stations differently this year than in previous years.
- All water stations will have 8oz bottles of water that participants can pick up as they run past.
- We will not be able to serve Gatorade, gels, or any open cups.
- Participants are highly encouraged to use hydration packs and self-fuel.
Parking will be available on City Island for participants.
There will be porta-potties at the start/finish line areas and throughout the course.
Not running but interested in helping out?
We need some extra volunteer help since we are holding this race over the course of two days! We need volunteers for the start line/finish line area, water stations on the course, and especially with directing runners on the route. We will provide comprehensive instructions. Most volunteer shifts are between approximately 2-4 hours.
We already have the best volunteers in the entire running community (not to brag =) so if you are interested, please contact Chip Hitz at firstname.lastname@example.org
EMS utility vehicles will be available along the course. EMTs will be available near the finish line on City Island. EMTs will be in contact with each water station in case of emergency.
It is imperative that all participants wear a face mask at all times, except while running their heat. If we work together, we can stay healthy together! You must maintain appropriate social distance at all times, please be aware of your surroundings.
- Participants must wear a mask up until they reach the starting line area
- Masks can be taken off while running
- After crossing the finish line and going through the finish line chute, masks must be put on prior to exiting the finish line chute
- Spectators must wear masks while at the event
What should I do with my mask while running?
We will not have a bag drop, so please wear shorts with pockets so you can put the mask in your pocket while running and access it again prior to exiting the finish line chute
Will there be food trucks?
- We will not be having food trucks this year.
Will there be food for participants after the race?
- Yes, we will have food available for participants following the race.
Will there be an awards ceremony?
- There will not be an awards ceremony at the event.
- All results will be updated on the results page of the Falcon Race Timing page for the Harrisburg Half as soon as they are ready.
- Awards will be mailed to participants following the race.
Can I register in-person?
- No, there will not be any in-person registration this year.
- All participants must signup online by Monday, September 7th at 11:59pm.
Can I stick around to watch the race after I finish?
- As much as we would love to have everyone hang out and watch the race like we do every year, we need to keep our overall crowd size down and kindly ask that once you finish, you head out and make room for the next finisher.
What do I do after I finish the race?
We’ll miss you! Once participants have finished running, we ask that they exit through the finish line chute and proceed to leave City Island. This will prevent overcrowding, encourage social distancing, and make room for the next finisher!
- After the race, we will have a finish line chute where you can get water, your finisher medal, food, and see some of our vendors.
- After exiting the finish line chute, we respectfully ask our participants to head out so we can keep our crowd size down.
Are awards chip-timed or gun-timed?
- All age group awards are chip-timed.
- This is because we are utilizing a corral format and not a gun-time format like usual.
Can I transfer my bib to someone?
- Yes, click here for instructions on how to transfer your bib to another runner.
- Transfer must be initiated and completed by Friday, September 4th
2020 Half Sponsors
|Race Series Sponsor|
|Title Sponsor||T-Shirt Sponsor
|Potato Chip Sponsor||Running Store Sponsor
|Healthy Living Sponsor|